Monday, June 20, 2011

Speaking of Adventure

I always find packing for AT hikes with my Dad highly entertaining. So many others would look at these several day excursions as minimalistically (not a word, I know) as possible... but with Dad... every night of camping is an opportunity for a feast. I mean, I'm looking at our food rations thinking where am I going to put my sleeping bag? Haha... oh well. I'm definitely excited to get my feet back on the trail.

One thing I love about backpacking is the realization of how much I can live without, and I see it as no coincidence that this issue keeps coming up for me. With this year ahead of me, this moment of what is next, so many issues are working to influence my decision-making paradigm. Sadly, money is the greatest of these issues. How much money is involved?
Isn't that repulsive?
I understand that money is a necessary evil, but you know, I just keep thinking of things, quotes, scriptures: "Take nothing for the road, no walking stick, no traveling bag, no bread, no money; and do not take two shirts a piece (Luke 9:3)." Of course, me being me, I promptly grabbed a Goodwill-bound trash bag and began shoving it with clothing items that I haven't even considered in months, but that's not the point is it?
No, the point is how hard would it be to "sell your possessions and give to the poor" when you really have no possessions yet? When you're just starting your life, just choosing a direction? Why do so many of us choose there will be time to make a difference once I've made my riches?

It's so backwards. I get so backwards sometimes.

Anyway,  here's to having a full backpack and ready feet and 13.7 miles of hungry trail ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment