Saturday, August 6, 2011

Following Trevor into basements (and other meanderings of late)

I visited Boone this week to investigate Appalachian State and its Music Therapy program. I can't say I'm too keen on 4 more years of school at this point -so that's probably out, but - man, I love Boone.

Wednesday night was music night in Lou's neighborhood. Believe me when I tell you that there isn't music equal to that made by neighbors in a living room, picking for the pure love of it. I sat there wishing I could take every single person in the room with me wherever I go.

Thursday, I sat on a porch downtown, sipped my coffee, and procrastinated my departure. Lou snapped photos of simple things -the grace of hands on a railing. Beauty. Moments that I'm convinced only she can capture.

We followed Trevor through a downtown alley, an inconspicuous door to an ordinary basement, and into a newly built recording studio. As I left the owner said, "it was an honor and a privilege playing that song with you." His sincerity humbled me, and left me speechless. No one has ever said anything like that to me before.
I always leave Boone feeling like I have a place to return to.
I always return home and miss the people who have left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment