Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bringin' it back around

"Goodbye, Mountains," was the caption to a photo a friend of mine recently posted. Reading the words made my heart turn in my chest.
I remember my high school years... I thought there was a great big world outside of this town and my purpose in life was to see it. 
I don't know what my purpose in life is, aside from worship in all things, and I still believe that there is a great big world outside of this town... but it's amazing how leaving this place and pursuing my concept of purpose has caused me to realize that there really is "no place like home." 

I love these hills. Being here allows my soul to expand. There are people here that I can pour my heart and soul out to, and by the grace of God they breathe life back into me. It's like remembering who I am, every time I'm here. 

It's so funny. I sat at lunch today with a friend of mine that I haven't really caught up with since high school, and it hit me how much this place means to me and how much I long for it when I'm away. Not just this geographical place but this spiritual place - and I wonder what sends me on my journeys. They always seem to bring me full circle. Right back to where I belong, sometimes with new understandings, sometimes with skewed ones, sometimes with hurt and sometimes with love, but always, I think with growth. Always, I know, in the arms and gaze of Christ. 

I know I must leave this place again. I know that each season and chapter of life comes to a close. And I am scared. 
But I'm also very excited, and I know in my heart that I will be home again soon.
And I know in my heart that the Lord will be with me wherever I go.
So I go into this next year praying... pleading that my heart will stay with His, knowing that He has prayed for me already and that everything comes from God. 

I don't think I've expressed in this post what I intended to express when I began writing, I don't know if I had a plan at all, really... or if I just felt like saying something. I just have this feeling in my heart that I can't explain... an odd mix of awe and peace and wonder and hope. 

Hope. That's what it is. I am filled with hope. 

1 comment: